Cooking With… Chambourcin!
This flavorful red wine has been a Lehigh Valley favorite for years. But did you know that it’s also a wonderful recipe item?
Venison With Chambourcin Sauce
- 1 qt venison stock
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- olive oil
- 1 cup Pinnacle Ridge Chambourcin wine
- 1 lb venison top round, sliced in 1/4″-thick steaks
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 oz. unsalted butter, clarified
- Simmer stock in saucepan over medium heat; reduce by 50 percent
- Melt sugar in second pan over low heat until sugar turns amber.
- Stir cider vinegar into caramelized sugar until sugar dissolves; add to reduced stock.
- Simmer until only 2 cups of liquid remain; remove from heat; reserve.
- Heat oil in skillet until hot.
- Season venison steaks; dredge in flour; saute in pan until medium rare; transfer to platter.
- Drain excess oil from skillet; deglaze with wine; reduce by half; add stock/sauce reduction; reduce to 2 cups.
- Arrange venison on hot plates; nap with sauce.